Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How Important is it to be at Least Bilingual in Todays World?

Speaking to a bilingual friend who is in her early twenties, I asked her why she thought is was important for her to be bilingual. Her answer was... "It not only introduces me to other cultures I might otherwise not learn about, but it has been an important bonus in job searching for me; not to mention the great advantages I have when I travel." 
I am surprised to see the lack of interest in the community about having bilingual citizens. I always tell my students: you are not competing with the guy next door; you are competing with the guy in India, South America, Asia, or Europe. So, why we are not pushing for bilingual education as parents? Why do we wait till our children are in high school for them to take the two years required to graduate? The earlier a child is introduced to another language the better. The high school years can build on the earlier exposure allowing for practice and further learning instead of beginning from scratch in their teens. As parents we need to expose our children at an early age to languages other than their native tongue. The advantages are tremendous and our children will be the ones who benefit from knowing another language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment